Monday, December 18, 2006

 
Desaru
Day 1
After 3 days of fun in Desaru, Malaysia, I am back. Below is a short summary of what hath passed in those fun-filled 3 days. The trip started with a car ride to NUS SRC and then some physical exercise carrying the surfboards and paddles out of the store to the loading bay. I placed 2 more sets of flippers into my bag and then we were off via bus to our destination. On the way to Tanah Merah MRT station, JK and myself were listening to a senior talk of life and the working world. It is interesting to realise how complex and sad the real world is. So much pain and suffering..... After picking up the rest of the team from Tanah Merah MRT Station, we proceed to Changi Ferry Terminal which incidentally was within visual distance of an all-too familar place for many Singaporean males: SAF Ferry Terminal. We waited there for 1 hour before being allowed through the gates into the ferry. The ferry was surprisingly modern and comfortable. I enjoyed the view and soon we were at Desaru. Customs was a breeze and our transport was there waiting for us. The bus ride to hotel was uncomfortable as the bus was cramped and our luggage was on us. The hotel looked great. We deposited our bags in 1 room then went to the sea to play. This sea looked slightly more wavy than sentosa. We all played in the sea until around 6pm at which we changed and went for dinner.

Dinner was kind of normal if not disappointing. The food was poorly cooked and rather ordinary but then again it was a buffet.

After dinner, we went to the karaoke room to watch the seniors sing songs and we played cards. I had a beer to ease the culture shock but unfortunately being in Singapore for too long did not prepare me for the shock of people smoking in the same room.

It seems that in Malaysia it is okay to smoke in an air-conditioned room. Yes, I did not know that but still it was shocking.

The day ended with me going back to my room and sleeping at close to 12 midnight.

Day 2

We woke up at 7.30 am for breakfast. I had my morning shower and when I came out, I was shocked to see my 2 female course mates in my room. Thankfully, I was fully dressed abeit shocked. We then proceeded to breakfast. Breakfast was much better with the typical continental breakfast spread with a Malaysian twist of Nasi Lemak and Udon.

10am we went to the beach to train our beach skills. Despite having trained in Singapore for many of the beach events, the waves in Desaru were quite a different challenge. For 1 they were much bigger and stronger. When I first tried swimming against the waves, I was sent back to the starting point. After the instruction of Mr Sim, our coach, we were taught how to swim and surf against strong waves. This helped us to swim further out to sea and also to enjoy the sensation of being carried by the waves back to the shore on our return leg.

The usual competition occurred and my team won. Though I didnt contribute much to helping my team win but still I tried my best and that is what I am proud of.

Training ended at 4 pm to give us an hour to bathe, change and do some laundry. We then boarded 2 vans and went to a fish farm owned by our coach's friend for dinner. The fish farm wasnt fantastic but at least I got to see some groupers and lobsters. Dinner on the other hand was great. The resident mosquitoes came and disturbed our dinner but they left after a while. Guess Singaporean blood isnt very nice.

Next came the fireflies. We went to a special place near the water's edge to look at fireflies and werent disappointed. The brightness of the light was surprising given the size of the firefly which is no bigger than the mosquito. I would say thats the reason they only appear at night so no one will mistake them for mozzies. Haha.

Next stop was grocery shopping and gum buying. I got chips and drinks for the match along with a few boxes of gum of sharing with friends. Bought a large Kit Kat ice cream cone for SGD $1. Happily enjoying the company of friends while playing poker with chewing gum stakes. In the end, I fell asleep watching the AC Milan-Fiorentina match.

Day 3

Packed up my stuff, went for a good breakfast and had 1 last swim in the sea with my new found friends/seniors. The waves that day were larger and stronger than the days before but I was well trained to deal with them though I dared not venture as far as the day before as it wasnt a formal training so no need to push too hard.

Went back to change and bathe then home.

In all, the trip was unforgettable. I never had so much fun learning something important for my future survival. After returning to Singapore, life has not been as fun with sickness and other disappointments. Perhaps after the high of Desaru, nothing is fun anymore.

A.V.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]