Tuesday, March 28, 2006

 
JC Days (Part 1)

Mood: Nostalgic

Today, I remember the days in JC. A place where you are free as a bird yet feel like you are locked in a cage. A place where your learning is regimented but yet there is so much choices on what to study.

Catholic Junior College was my home for less than 20 months. I entered in March 2002 and left in November 2004. Not a long time to be studying somewhere. As the saying goes, everywhere you go, a mark is made upon the paper which is your life. CJC was a place where I learnt how to study smart, to chill when under academic stress and to play hard.

Lets start from my class T17. A rojak class of talents and personalities. There are the nerds, the social animals, the leaders and the persons-non-grata. There were those who were good at all their studies and there were those who couldnt study. Yet, the class was supposed to be one of the better classes in CJC. People like Airine, Soon Aik and Beverly would be busy balancing work with CCA. People like Ateet and Gordon would be entertaining the class with funny putdowns and general act-cool-though-I-am-not actions.Then there is the MUD gang: Marcus, Clarence and myself. The guys who spend their time playing computers games and stuff. I was somewhat in the middle of everything expected of am all-rounder. CCA leader, above-average grades and sports-inclined. There was always someone better than me in my class but yet seemed to be just missing something to be the best. The fragmentation of my class was due the the fact that we never wanted to be in CJC in the first place. All of us wanted to be in NJC, ACJC, RJC or SAJC but we missed. Differing interests and petty school rivalry affected our intra-class bonds. Clarence was one of th few who could reach across the school 'gap' and befriend much of the class. Its not to say all my close classmate friends are from SJI, though most are. The nice 'other' school guys were Peng Yam, Hsien Han and Kai Shing. There were more but I guess 20 months is a short time to squeeze in friendship, studies and other activities. I would be presumptous to break the class into the little cliques because some of the classmates could float from 1 clique to another. As I write this blog, I wonder how all of them are doing and whether they still considered each other as friends. It has been almost 3 years since we last were in the same classroom, I hope they are well.

More on my JC Days in the days to come.

Ian

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]